I am not too familiar with how GL works.  Is the performance gain
happen in writing to the screen or doing the image manipulation or
BOTH.  I mean I know I can convert a bitmap to a texture and put it on
the GL surface.  Most of my code is done using canvas to draw to off
screen bitmaps before i finally draw the composite image to the
screen.

Do I have to convert all that to GL textures or can I keep all the
bitmap work and convert the final image to a texture to be drawn to
the GL surface.  If I have to convert it all to the textures and draw
to the textures, will there be any performance gain by just drawing
the final image to the GL surface but to the rest using Canvas?