On Mar 17, 7:27 pm, William <william.caine...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do I have to convert all that to GL textures or can I keep all the
> bitmap work and convert the final image to a texture to be drawn to
> the GL surface.  If I have to convert it all to the textures and draw
> to the textures, will there be any performance gain by just drawing
> the final image to the GL surface but to the rest using Canvas?

Not in this case, no. The way to think about it is in terms of the
amount of data going from main (CPU) memory to graphics (GPU) memory.
If you do all the compositing in software then you have to send a full
frame's worth of data to the GPU every frame. Using OpenGL to then
draw it would provide no benefit over just sending it straight to the
screen (it would almost certainly be slower, in fact).

The case where using OpenGL provides a benefit is when you have a lot
of bitmap data that doesn't change. That can be just be sent to the
GPU once as textures and then you can draw using those textures and
the compositing will be done quickly by the GPU.

If you have some bitmap data that is static, and some which changes
then it is harder to predict the performance. Trying both ways is
probably the only way to get a definitive answer.

--
Jon