Google needs to realize that smart phones are the next wave
of personal computers and start treating Android phones as a computer
with a phone attached rather than a phone with fairly impressive
compute power.

The outcome of this line of thought is understanding that google
does not know what the next killer app will be and what resources
it will need to accomplish its task.  Probabily users will need more
control over the phone to install potentially root privleged programs
and device driver, developers will need access to all the hardware
perpherials (USB, Bluetooth...)  Think of it a a Linux computer with
a phone attached.

Additionally the Dalvik VM is very slow which is jeopardizing
the platforms viability for anything more than simple image
manapilation via GL.  Java did not take off for Sun until sun
got JIT working well.  The same will need to happen for Dalvik.