> ... The GPS hardware will only actually be powered up> if someone is
asking to get data from it.... Another way
> to look at this -- the GPS setting is primarily there for
> privacy, to allow users to determine whether is okay -at
> all- for anyone to be getting the fine-grained information
> about where they are.
So it's really unfortunate that the explanation for the GPS setting reads:
"deselect to conserve battery", it gives every user I've discussed it with
the impression that enabling the setting will drain their battery faster
independently of what applications choose to do. This is enforced the
absence of similar indications for other settings.

Tom.