I am the developer of a fairly successfull application for Android.
My solution to the piracy-problem was: Give away applications for
free, and instead insert ads from (-- your favorite Ad network here
--).

So far it has paid off okay, I think I get more from the ads than I
would have selling apps for $1.

I know, not a viable solution for all apps (expensive ones, apps that
work offline, etc). But for a small developer like me, it was the
simple solution.
If people download my apps from forums it actually means more
revenue. :-)