A bit more then a year ago I had developed a simple image recognition
library for j2me (after reading Rainbows End). It could do trackerless
camera parameters extraction and very basic recognition. I wanted to
do augmented MTG-like tabletop game playable with my Symbian
smartphone, but choosen j2me for portability. Unfortunately the
performance was dismal, so I've abandoned it. When I heard about ADC2
in late June I decided that this lib could work faster on Android, but
I did not have enough time to participate, so asked if my wife could.
She does not have a full time job right now so has plenty of time.
I've only promised to support and extend the library if she asks. She
had ordered a Google Dev Phone in July and started designing the app.

She used to work with 4-5 year old kids in a kindergarden, so she had
decided to develop an augmented reality app for education, not a
tabletop game I was thinking about. Her submission is "Vivify picture:
math" in Education/Reference category. The application is also
available in Android Market. English is not our first language, I hope
the app name she had picked does not sound weird for native
speakers :).

Most of Augmented Reality applications appearing in recent months are
about large scale augmented reality. They are used mostly outdors and
rely heavily on GPS support. Our entry (and my library which I am
considering releasing open source) focuses on smaller scale - table
top mobile augmented reality http://vivifypicture.com. It is trying to
keep track of a sheet of paper (game board), and recognize figures
user is drawing on it: simple arythmetic operations and geometry
shapes. Then it draws 3D scene explaining basic math concepts it
recognized, and user is able to zoom in/out and explore from different
angles by moving a device around. There is also a simple 3D mini game
in. It's like pong but you control it by drawing on paper in front of
a camera. Unfortunately we were not able to implement all features
planned, and some of the patterns that should be recognizable are not
recognized reliably yet. The APK size is below 80Kb. Here is the video
demo where my wife shows how it works: www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC2AMzdSg9s

We were only able to test it on Google Developers Phone, so not quite
sure if it would work on anything else. Hopefully it works at least on
G1 :). We had submitted few upgrades (4) during last 2 days. The
latest one was just 10 minutes before submission site was closed.

Anyone else submitted to Education/Reference category?