I know this thread is talking a lot about task management.  I think
the original post was about making alarms that still occur even if the
app is closed.  This is how I do it:

1) Use AlarmManager service to schedule PendingIntents in the future
(I.e. xx min from now)

2) Creat an intent/PendingIntent pair that starts. Your service when
called, and give that to AlarmManager with your polling interval.

3) If you need to save data that your service needs when it is started
so it can continue where it left off before it was destroyed, use a
preferneces file (see SharedPreferences class)

Using that approach works great for my app.  That way it doesn't
matter if my app ever gets killed.  The alarm will trigger in the
future and the intent will restart my service, and I just reload my
preferences file to restore some data I'm working with.

Hope that helps.