Personally, I find all Android phones to be excellent for development.

However, here are some things I would consider before deciding.

Let's consider these devices:
HTC G1
HTC Magic
HTC MyTouch
HTC Hero
HTC Eris
Samsung Galaxy
Samsung Moment
Motorola Cliq
Motorola Droid

Given the choice of a device with or without a keyboard, I'd choose one with
a keyboard. You can use the soft keyboard on a device with a hard keyboard,
but not vice versa. This leave us with:

HTC G1
Samsung Moment
Motorola Cliq
Motorola Droid

Next, I would make Android 2.0 a priority. The Multi-touch API, Bluetooth
API and others are key to the near-term feature of mobile development.
Nobody seems to know for sure, but it's unlikely the G1 will get 2.0, so I
would probably not consider it unless you hear differently.

Next, 3D UIs are getting more important, so I'd want a phone that has decent
accelerated 3D hardware. This eliminates the Samsung Galaxy, but leaves all
others.

Last there is screen size. Most smartphones are HVGA now (320x480), but WVGA
(800 or 854 x 480) will be the standard soon.

So, the best choice depends on what you want to do. If you only want to
cover the basics and don't mind skipping a few capabilities or API's, then
the cheapest or most rugged might be the best choice.

If you want the best device to prepare students for all aspects of Android
and mobile development, there's really no choice but the Motorola Droid,
because of it's:

* WVGA screen
* Terrific hardware accelerated OpenGL
* Android 2.0
* Hardware keyboard
* Full set of sensors (has a proximity sensor)

I hope this helps.

Scott,
SoftwareForMe.com

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Ash <ashwin.disco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new to android development. We need to buy around 20 phones for
> android development for our university. Please share your views and
> comments on the phone you think is good for Android development.
>
> Thank You

Warm regards,
The PhoneMyPC Team