I agree that it should work on any (local) Uri, file: and content:

But i think they somehow need to tie it to the MediaStore content-
provider. And this makes sense, because content-providers are the main
mechanism with which data is shared amongst the applications.

This means, that if you have a file, you need to insert it into the
MediaStore's image content-provider. The insert returns you an ID
(Long value), which you then can use for Photoshop.com.

But i think that the Photoshop.com intent is designed with the idea
that another app queries the *content-provider* for images (not the
file-system)