> Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an inter-activity file intent fail due
> to Android's file system sandboxing model?
For files that are private to the app, you would be correct. People
can remove the SD card from the phone and plug it into a laptop/
desktop and download a bunch of content that is public to every app on
the phone.  Plus, apps can save files to the SD card specifically in
public mode so that anyone can see it, use it.  File intents are meant
specifically for public files.  Private files are indeed locked away
and cannot be used by anyone else and those would require a provider
of some kind for any app external to yours to be able to get at
anything contained within your private app space.