First off; I'm not a qualified legal advisor, so my views here are
from my experience of matters like this and should not be construed as
solid legal advice.

As long as you've not used their code or other files from the app your
first step should be to go back to them and say the app is not derived
from their application and all materials used in the application have
been created by, or appropriately licensed by, your company for use in
your application. You should also ask them the jurisdiction under
which they are making these claims and for specific examples of where
they have found materials have been taken from their application and
incorporated into yours, or where they believe trademark infringement
has taken place.

In all the jurisdictions I'm aware of to breach copyright you must
have either taken something from their app, or created an exact
duplicate of it to the extent that the two can not be told apart by
the average person. In terms of trademarks, well, trademarks are
registered with different agencies around the world, and what's
considered a legitimate trademark in one region isn't for another
(e.g. currently Android isn't a registered trademark of Google in
Europe, but is a Google registered trademark in the US), so it can be
pretty complex, but unless they have specific examples it sounds like
they're just trying to clear the market of any competition so they can
make as much money as they can.

There was a spate of "Look and Feel" lawsuits in the 80's which fell
flat on their face (you can see a bit about it at
http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2003/12/the_revival_of_the_lookandfeel.html
).

The main thing to remember though, is if you're in any doubt contact a
qualified legal advisor.

Al.
--

* Looking for Android Apps? - Try http://andappstore.com/ *