I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

I have some experience and have done some reading in this regard, however.
 Laws differ in each country, and if they were to sue you for trademark
infringement, they would have to do so in each country they wish for you to
stop selling your app or to pursue damages.

In the U.S., copyright law protects the original author/artist from others
copying the work or making a derivative work without permission.  The
definition of a derivative work is not clear to me.  With software, they
would have to show that you use some of their software (source code or
object code) without permission, e.g. by reverse engineering, linking some
of their libraries (such libraries not expressly permitting doing so), or
out right theft of their code.  With graphics, I don't know how they prove
it.  It's very subjective, and the commonality of pre-existing material
(e.g. an "H" used for a helo-pad) may work in your favor.

I would file for a copyright with the U.S. copyright office.  I think you
simply have to send them a copy of your work and fill out a registration
form.  If you have earlier records of when your work was first available, I
would hang on to those as well.  If you have a similar organization in your
country, then you should do the same there.  If you can do so in any country
your app is selling, then do that as well.

Unfortunately, they may decide to push ahead with lawsuits.  You should most
definitely consult with lawyers.  The initial consult may be free.
 Depending on the laws, if you win, you may be able to sue for court costs
and legal fees.

Best of luck!

Patrick