Apology definitely accepted.

Just to illustrate the difficulty -- and why I don't fault you for
failing to be clear:

None off my car radios EVER had lights that lit up for the buttons.
They had buttons that would stay depressed. To set a station, you'd
tune to the station, and then PULL OUT the button, and press it back
in.

So I think the buttons don't light up, they depress. I think they
light up when they are selected, because that's what it looks like.
But I don't think ever seen "lit up" in this context, just depressed.

To really, seriously add to the confusion, the layout you said you
were using doesn't use a radio button at all! It uses a
CheckedTextView. That didn't really affect your question or answer,
but it sure added to the uncertainty in trying to disambiguate. (And
you can see how "checked" makes more sense as the terminology, when
you consider it as being generic across this category of widget
types).

It's a wonder people manage to communicate at all, sometimes. We think
we speak the same language, but we're not even on the same planet!