I kind of hate to butt into this laborious thread, but I want to add my 2
cents.

@DonFrench: IMO you have confused the behavior and the appearance of radio
buttons a bit. By behavior, I mean the underlying state of the control
group. The behavior is clearly 1-of N (although none selected is another
possible state). How that is displayed (appearance) is another matter. The
default appearance on Android seems to be two concentric gray circles, with
the inner one green to indicate the selected state. However, in principle,
the appearance of the selected state can be of almost limitless and creative
alternatives:

1) Bolded label
2) Drop shadow to indicate 3-D depressed state
3) Blinking text
4) Darker or lighter background, or different color
5) Arrow icon
6) Underlined label
7) Checkmark
8) Square box with checkmark
9) Open vs closed door icon
10) How about a detent dial, like on classic stereo gear source selectors
etc.

It's debatable whether a consistent appearance (or style) accross all
Android applications is better than the latitude of creative design. I'm
pretty sure that game developers want to have their own hallmarks. I think
describing the problem in terms of the behavior instead of appearence and
elaborate analogs would make the conversation about programming the darn
things much easier.