It appears to be a serious issue for developers, see:

http://www.androidauthority.com/index.php/2010/04/23/nice-htc-droid-incredible-photos-and-application-issues/

It mentions:

"For those of you interested, the internal 8GB of storage on the phone
is mounted at /emmc (r/w mode, of course) and microSD cards still
shows up normally at /sdcard as expected."

I can't believe they did this. Samsung's solution was not perfect but
at least it was compatible. To get to this you have to hardcode the
path.

And developers are probably going to be blamed for the issue. I can
already see the emails and comments from users "Why does this app need
an SD card, I have 8GB internal storage. Why don't you do it like the
apps that came with the phone".