On Jun 12, 8:44 am, gosh <steve...@unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> >(our revenue is from ads in the client & customisation deals in case you're
> >wondering).
>
> Then I'm assuming you must require the app publisher to make some
> small addition to their source code - which is no big deal to the
> coder.

Nope. The ads are only in our client, and the customisation deals are
with OEMs and hardware distributors for customer versions of our
systems. Developers don't have to modify anything.

> > If you also add in that Market does things that third party after-
> > market app stores can't (automatic updates, copy protection,
> > permissions-before-download installs), you can see that any company
> > getting into the Android app store space is competing on a uneven
> > playing field from day 1 on devices where they aren't integrated into
> > the firmware
>
> If you already require a mod to the source as per above, you could
> also add some phone-home 'occasionally' capability (your marketplace
> home) ... which could implement a 'better' copy protection mechanism
> than the Android Market currently has.

AndAppStore already offers a purchase checking facility where
developers can, if they want to, check against our database of
purchases to see if the user has purchased a copy of the app for the
specific device it's running on.

> Similarly, you could also use such phone-home code to implement a
> 'better' updates policy - e.g. I find the current update mechanism in
> Android Market a pain in the butt in that it tries to update apps 'too
> often'. E.g. you could let the 'phone user' pick a minimum update
> frequency which overrides those frenetic/frivolous updaters.

We're looking at adding a time selector in addition to our the on/off
switch we currently have in the AndAppStore client for background
update checking.

Al.