You will only need to compile your kernel using CONFIG_USB_ACM=y .

Then you must modify your reference-ril.c, init.rc and
system/etc/init.gprs-pppd .

- reference-ril.c  respecting your modem capabilities
- init.rc   service ril-daemon /system/bin/rild -l
/system/lib/libreference-ril.so -- -d /dev/ttyACM0
- system/etc/init.gprs-pppd  adjust the device to your serial device port

[]'s

Hamilton Vera

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Geary <geary.sutterfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're right, Mike. I didn't think of that. I'm using the kernel
> source for the Evo from the HTC developer site. They must have added
> CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_SERIAL. I didn't check it against the AOSP source.
>
> Sounds like, unless they've introduced some dependency, that I could
> get by with only CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_ACM. I'm going to try that and see
> if it works.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Geary
>
> On Dec 14, 1:59 pm, Mike Lockwood <lockw...@android.com> wrote:
>> I don't see any sign of CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_SERIAL in my kernel
>> sources.  Which kernel branch are you working from?
>>
>> I know some people are using the gadget ACM serial support in our
>> 2.6.36 tree in the common repository on kernel.org, so that should be
>> working.  But it sounds like you might be using someone else's kernel,
>> in which case you would need to check with the maintainers of that
>> kernel.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Geary <geary.sutterfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm trying to configure an Android kernel to support connecting the
>> > phone as a USB gadget using the CDC ACM protocol. I'm making progress
>> > in understanding how to configure the kernel for this, but it seems
>> > something new pops up every day. One thing I don't understand about
>> > the Android Gadget configuration is the difference between
>> > CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_ACM and CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_SERIAL. Can anyone
>> > explain the difference? I see that ANDROID_ACM compiles f_acm.c and
>> > u_serial.c, while ANDROID_SERIAL compiles serial.c and u_serial.c.
>> > (All of these files are in drivers/usb/gadget.) But I don't understand
>> > the difference. The comments in f_acm.c and serial.c both mention CDC-
>> > ACM. Does anyone have any guidance on these two options?
>>
>> > --
>>
>> --
>> Mike Lockwood
>> Google android team

Hamilton Vera
int Administrator (char Network[],char ComputationalSystems[])
http://hvera.wordpress.com