I ended up dealing with this situation further because binary
libraries required on our platform could not be recompiled to not have
terrible TLS hacks in them. Turns out that in older kernels it was
possible to switch around how tls was handled in the kernel by using
switches like CONFIG_HAS_TLS_REG or whatever. in 2.6.39 some of those
config options still exist but largely have no effect as there is some
code that supposedly can detect the tls hardware at runtime. This can
be problematic because you end up in a situation where the tls writes
are done by hardware if available, and the reads are always done by
software, unless recompiled. Causing the data to not be stored at the
same location it is read from. At this time there is no way to disable
the switch to hardware tls other than hacking out that stupid detector
thingy.