Simulator != Emulator

We make a significant distinction in those two terms:

The simulator is a special Linux x86 build that runs all of Android in
a single process on a Linux workstation. It is extremely finicky and
prone to breaking. The only reason we keep it around is that it is
currently the only way to run Valgrind.

The emulator is an ARM instruction emulator that runs the same image
as you would run on a device (provided that the HAL is written to deal
with hardware dependencies that may not exist in the emulation
environment). To run code on the emulator, you choose the generic
build.

If you are trying to run code in a target environment (and if you are
hanging out in android-porting, you probably are), you want to choose
the generic build.