That really helped. I did a complete update of the device and this time
debug kernel comes up,

It mounts the root filesystem
Warning: unable to open an initial console

ANDROID init: cannot find /system/bin/playmp3, disabling bootsound
enabling adb
adb_open
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attemped to kill init!

and that's where it stops.

-mohan

P.S: I am not sure exactly what was wrong with the old bits on my device as
i was using it as both a regular N810 and old-Android device. Perhaps,
instructing users to reflash the device before starting with this would be
useful.