There is a version of the WindRiver ALSA audio that uses unblocked I/O
and will kick-start the audio if this happens. The real problem is that
the ALSA driver usually doesn't survive well over a suspend/resume. The
way to reproduce the problem is if:

1) Play something.
2) Stop play.
3) Suspend.
4) Resume.
5) Play something.

It shouldn't allow the platform to sleep when playing, so if it is a
suspend/resume issue you are seeing then this is the only way to
reproduce it.