you will need to set the PRODUCT_PACKAGE_OVERLAYS build time var in your
product defining makefile.  This should be set to the relative path of your
overlay dir.  The overlay dir contains a sparse mirror of the source tree
with just the resource files you wish to overlay.

For example, from the root of your dev tree:
framework/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml - the real file in with all
the other src files
vendor/foo/product/MyProduct.mk (includes PRODUCT_PACKAGE_OVERLAYS :=
vendor/foo/myoverlay)
vendor/foo/myoverlay/framework/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml - the
overlay copy, may only have this one file in myoverlay

You should not modify the base/core/res makefile.