Well you really wouldn't want to have "overlay" code for that kind of thing
anyway, because your overlay would end up having a copy of whatever the code
was at the point you made it, and wouldn't track later changes that happen
to it.  That's really no different than forking, but just in a less rigorous
and safe way.

Unfortunately I am not a git expert to help out with this...  I am pretty
sure the build system doesn't have a way to automatically apply a patch,
though.

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com