It appears that my mistake was bringing up the interface manually at the
console before trying to enable bluetooth via the UI.  It works if I don't
do that.

Paired it with my cell phone, and tried transferring a file, but the
connection failed.  I don't know much about bluetooth, but I wonder if
Android is set up for file transfer(a profile issue?), or maybe there is a
permission problem somewhere.  I've had issues with those before.  Going to
see if I can figure out where to look, pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help in getting it going.
Mike