I have just completed this part of work recently so here are some
advice.

1, get the ppp source code(I am using ppp-2.4.4) and compile "chat" .
(android has pppd but doesn't have chat . Maybe there are some other
ways to attach the net without chat  )

2, modify  ppp-2.4.4/scripts/ppp-on  according to your own platform.
( take care about the arguments of pppd in the script  )

3,test your ppp-on under command line. (eg:  pppd call
your_dial_script_file_name)

4, If you can attatch to the net successfully ,then you can call the
script in RIL.

5, in order to call the script in RIL,you need to:
    a,   add a service in init.rc.  eg:
        service pppd_gprs /etc/ppp/init.gprs-pppd
            user root
            group radio cache inet misc
            disabled

    b, when you receive :RIL_REQUEST_SETUP_DATA_CALL , use
property_set("ctl.start", SERVICE_PPPD_GPRS);
        to activate the script ( you have tested the scrpit at step 3
so you can probably attach to the net )

    c, add permisions in enable the RIL to call the script.
(  froyo_source_code/system/core/init/property_service.c ,
        struct {
        const char *service;
        unsigned int uid;
        unsigned int gid;
        } control_perms[])

    6, you probably can attach to the internet  but still  need to do
some work to make the mechanism robust.  I think you will find some
places need to be improved.