Just a quick update for those interested.

Yes, at the time Linux boots, WinCE has already initialized the SSP1 controller
and enabled its interrupts, and powered up the attached NavPoint hardware. This
broke the linux-3.2-rc2 NavPoint driver.

A workaround is for the driver to initially:
1. Power down the NavPoint hardware (thereby forcing a reset).
2. Disable the SSP1 controller.
This fixes the immediate problem, but is something of a hack.

The underlying problem is that HaRET does not fulfil the requirements of
booting ARM Linux, as described in the Linux kernel documentation:

./Documentation/arm/Booting

In particular, a boot loader is required to quiesce all DMA capable devices and
disable all interrupts. HaRET does neither.