Hello Angstrom Users,

I wanted to update everyone on the progress with getting wireless N working
on my BeagleBoard-xM

As you know from this thread of emails, I was trying to get an Encore
Wireless N150 USB Adapter
<http://www.encore-usa.com/us/support/ENUWI-1XN42> working
on the BeagleBoard-xM running Angstrom with kernel version 2.6.39.  I got
the drivers installed by installing the rtl8192cu kernel module (with opkg)
and by putting the binary file rtl8192cufw.bin (acquired on Debian from its
package manager) into the directory /lib/firmware/rtlwifi. Of course I had
to insert the module into the kernel to get it working with the command
"modprobe rtl8192cu"

The final step is to edit the configuration file: /etc/network/interfaces
(which can be done with a command like nano /etc/network/interfaces,
assuming nano is installed) I had to add an entry for wlan1 (the wireless n
adaptors name) by adding these 3 lines

iface wlan1 inet dhcp

wireless_mode managed

wireless_essid <NETWORKNAME>

Then after saving and running the command ifup wlan1 (you might have to run
ifdown wlan1 before) I was able to get wireless connectivity.

This assumes that the wireless access point isn't password protected.
I'd also like to note that getting this working comes with some side
effects. Not all modules work with this kernel. For example uvcvideo (to
get video from webcams) doesn't work with kernel 2.6.39 with my webcam in
gstreamer.

I trying to get a more later kernel 3.0.28 installed, but I've also ordered
another wireless adaptor that has drivers for kernel 2.6.32 (which has
support for uvcvideo).

--
*W.A. Garrett Weaver *
weav...@email.arizona.edu