1. what Uditha said about 'testservers'.
2. By "use multiple plays", I meant to create one play that specifies hosts:
testservers, another play that specifies hosts: dev-servers, and a third
that specifies hosts: prod-servers.
Then, have specific tasks for those servers.

Now, re-looking at your playbook, I realize that I had forgotten that you
were using a role for this, so separating this into multiple plays would be
more complicated because you want the role to act differently depending on
the group. In general, this makes the role less portable because it
requires that these groups be defined.

So, if you wanted to go down this road, you could either split your role
into multiple roles or split your tasks/main.yml into multiple files (this
might be overkill for what you want to do, but I'm including it here for
completeness):

e.g.
tasks/prod.yml: tasks to run on all prod-servers
tasks/dev.yml: tasks to run on all dev-servers
tasks/test.yml: task to run on all testservers

tasks/main.yml:
---
- name: Run on prod
  include: prod.yml
  when: run_prod|default(false)

- name: Run on dev
  include: prod.yml
  when: run_dev|default(false)

- name: Run on test
  include: test.yml
  when: run_test|default(false)

and in your playbook:
---
- name: Play for test servers
  hosts: testservers

  roles:
  - { role: app_install, run_test: true, tags: test }

- name: Play for dev servers
  hosts: dev-servers

  roles:
  - { role: app_install, run_dev: true, tags: dev }

- name: Play for prod servers
  hosts: prod-servers

  roles:
  - { role: app_install, run_prod: true, tags: prod }