>From the manual ...

You can also set properties that override properties
specified in the buildfile (see the property task).
This can be done with the -Dproperty=value option,
where property is the name of the property, and
value is the value for that property. This can also be
used to pass in the value of some environment
variables. You can also access environment variables
using the property task. Just pass -DMYVAR=%MYVAR%
(Windows) or -DMYVAR=$MYVAR (Unix) to Ant - you can
then access these variables inside your buildfile as
${MYVAR}.

HTH,
-Arun