On Saturday, January 4, 2003, at 12:55  PM, Kenneth Lee wrote:
Thank you. I was once thinking about doing something similar.
But then I realize that keeping another set of documentation is likely
to have it not-synced with the rapidly changing core manual.

[...]

So I propose that the core documentation to be rebuilt from scratch,
probably in XML, so that different views of the manual (normal view
as well as quickref and index) could be generated in a unified manner
(thru XSLT and CSS.)
Its in progress. In fact, the past several days I've been refactoring the proposal/xdocs stuff and I'm going to make it part of the XDoclet project as a special set of Ant-specific subtasks to process Ant tasks and datatypes and extract the useful info and XML-ify it. Its already been done, and the results can be seen here:

http://www.manning.com/hatcher/appendixE.pdf

As Steve has already mentioned, there is still a way to go with making documentation as rich as the current HTML docs, but that can be handled with some merge points in XDoclet to pull in some extra files per task to include examples or more.

Its always been my goal to generate a quick reference of Ant tasks/datatypes, and we achieved this goal mostly already and its dead-on 100% accurate with how Ant works, rather than the current HTML documentation which may (or may not) have holes in which attributes/elements are shown. Generating from XDoclet will ensure accuracy and allow attribute/element descriptions to be where they are defined rather than separately maintained.

Erik