I don't think it can be done without turning the NCC into
something like the NSA and even then I doubt it would be 100%
effective.
Many governments throughout history have tried to have all the
data they can on their citizens...

I am not persuaded that this is at all a valid or fair comparison.

Insofar as the NCC does not have nearly the resources a
government has. After that it's only a matter of how intrusive
you want to get. As a matter of fact, even most of the governments in the service
region that require registration of your address don't send
people by to confirm that you are there or phone you.
(oddly enough, ISTR reading somewhere that the Dutch actually do
this) Non-compliance is usually just a small fine, too.

If a formal proposal was put forward to the entire RIPE membership
which proposed that all mailing addresses and phone numbers be
completely removed from the WHOIS data base, would you personally
vote "yea" or "nay" on that proposal?

For personal objects, I probably would +1 i
For companies it
probably doesn't matter, they tend to *want* everyone to know
where they are.

See also Denis's email regarding a review of what data
needs to be kept and who needs to see it.

I am just trying to understand your policy views in toto.

In this context: "Collect only the data you absolutely need and
guard them well"
rgds,
Sascha Luck