no not all dnsbls are a problem. none of the other ones block non-directly related prefixes as a means of extortion into complete breach of contract. there are some 110 of them last time we checked. we only were on the 2 operated by spamhaus. :P

so by far... pretty much all dnsbl's list the ips that originate the 'undesired' traffic, which stops it from

reaching those that use their service, and that's where it ends for them... that's perfectly acceptable.

(as long as it's the actual end user making the decision to use their 'filtering' or not)

howeverrrrr... then there is spamhaus...

which goes 'oh on 1.2.3.4 is a website of which the url was mentioned in some UCE', let's list 1.2.3.4 and demand complete disconnection at the isp, if they don't do it we list 1.2.3.0/24, if they still don't cooperate with us we'll run some traceroutes and sh ip bgps and see who suppliers their isp with most of their transit and list their networks as well. (and -those- usually -do- use smtp ;)

as for 194.109/16. that ain't ours. lol. you didn't actually think i was gonna disclose OUR front operations' prefixes to spamhaus again right? lol. (plus you'll be hard pushed to find an smtp server on any of those anyway - it's obsolete...;)

as for the ripe mailinglist being smtp... yes. it unfortunately still is.. and it's about the ONLY thing that still needs smtp, next to signing up to habbo hotel. lol. i haven't started the mail client for anything else in years. lol. face it: smtp is dead, the reason it is dead: is spamhaus itself. making it unreliable. mainly.