From: anti-abuse-wg <anti-abuse-wg-boun...@ripe.net> on behalf of Carlos
Friaças via anti-abuse-wg <anti-abuse-wg@ripe.net>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2019 3:08 PM
To: Nick Hilliard
Cc: Shane Kerr; anti-abuse-wg@ripe.net
Subject: Re: [anti-abuse-wg] Legality of proposal (apologies)

On Fri, 17 May 2019, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> Shane Kerr wrote on 17/05/2019 08:45:
>> All I can say is that the law is stupid then, and it SHOULD allow the
>> proposed policy. ?
>
> fundamentally, it shouldn't. Proportionality is a cornerstone of most legal
> systems - if you don't have proportionality, you end up with tyranny. The
> idea of threatening to cut off a LIR because they haven't updated an abuse
> contact is completely disproportionate to the scale of the policy infraction.

Hi,

It's probably not "haven't updated" but instead "haven't created".

Ideally this would also cover cases where company X deliberately inserts
an e-mail address from someone which has nothing to do with the numbering
resource... at least the legitimate owner of such mailbox should be able
to resort to someone (hopefully not a court!) to have that corrected in
the registry.......

We had that with our postal address from an ARIN member some years ago. :/

Carlos