A lot of what is being requested in this thread seems outside of RIPEs
remit and raises endless questions about responsibility / overreach. RIPEs
job is to manage the distribution and registration of resources across
members as efficiently and fairly as possible - I've only been a member for
a few years but it seems to be doing a pretty good job at that.

The stated goal of the organisation is not to police and rule on the
activities of those using the resources and take unilateral action against
them if they break a law. I also reject the notion that this is what they
should be doing - having a central authority to police internet activity
seems to run contrary to the idea of an open internet and raises numerous
questions. Who makes the rules? What level of evidence is needed? How do
you accurately validate evidence? What is the process? What if there is
some miscarriage of justice?

Furthermore, the practicality of basing security on relying on a RIR
correctly policing resource usage and preventing things like hacking
attempts is ineffective and will lead to issues. There are multiple RIRs
that would all need to work effectively to do this and even then, most
hacking attempts are made through botnets anyways. In my experience,
blacklists are effective and simple to set up so I don't understand how
this isn't the easy solution here.

All that being said, if RIPE wants to begin sending email notifications and
checking whether abuse contact information is up to date / being replied to
and publish that list then I think that is reasonable but it should be
purely educational and made available for stakeholders to act independently
with no central authority recommending any kind of action using the list.
Again, practically speaking here.. I think all you'd find there would be a
huge number of non-respondents and having to make a decision whether or not
to block millions of european internet resources from your network just
because the owner didn't click a email button.

Timur Gok
Managing Director

[image: Logo] <https://www.pingproxies.com/>
ad...@pinglabs.co.uk - www.pinglabs.co.uk
International House, 12 Constance Street, London, United Kingdom, E16 2DQ
[image: LinkedIn icon]
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/timur-gok-6a7074159/>  [image:
Twitter icon] <https://twitter.com/pingproxies>