On 2002.11.07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think Tcl (or, rather, "single language support") is one of the big things
> holding AOLserver back.  It's nice that you're all convinced of your
> godliness under Tcl ;), but other smart people like other languages, and
> they're not going to switch to AOLserver if it means switching to Tcl,
> however much you tell them they should.  Less chauvinism on this front
> would be much more welcoming, IMO; outright advertising could only help.

I might be putting my foot in my mouth here, but I always saw AOLserver
/not/ as a "general purpose webserver with Tcl as the only server-side
scripting language choice".  Matter of fact, I've never thought of
AOLserver as a "general purpose webserver" -- for that, I'll use Apache.

I see AOLserver filling a very specific niche.  It's there for very
high-end but dynamic websites that must scale well both in terms of
traffic and hardware configuration, and be reliable as well.  To that
goal, having a stable and very lean AOLserver is highly desirable.

Now, if adding other scripting language support could be done without
adding any baggage to the core -- as external modules -- I'm all for it.
However, I would hate to see the core get bogged down with stuff to
accomdate all sorts of languages if it means negative impact towards its
ability to fit the niche I just described.

My personal self-interest comes from developing a site in Vignette's
application server product (which, up to version V/6, uses Tcl as its
core scripting language).  The site across the two major applications
I've developed does approx. 1.4M hits/350K page views a day.  Not a hell
of a lot, but it's a respectable amount and scaling it up will be
important.

As of Vignette V/7, it appears they're dropping Tcl support in the core.
It's the moment I've always been waiting for.  I'm ready to evangelize
AOLserver full-time as a low-impact migration path from Vignette.  If I
can get AOLserver to "emulate" Vignette well enough, I can start going
around to every Vignette customer and try and sell them an AOLserver
replacement implementation.  This could be /big/ money.  And, it's the
niche that AOLserver specifically fits well -- high end, dynamic
websites.

I don't understand why people are looking for "wider adoption of
AOLserver" or "as much publicity as Apache" or whatnot ... while it's
nice having a large community of users, some of which might contribute
back to the open source project ... having a piece of software that
enables the right folks to meet business goals ... that's incredibly
valuable already.

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara                       mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]