----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [AOLSERVER] Other languages (was: Project Update)

> Patrick Spence wrote:
>
> > The more people using the software in my mind means the larger
likelyhood
> > that the software will remain developed.. so its purely selfish on my
part..
> > put that together with the added advantage that with more people using
it
> > there is likely to be more people coding addons for it and I get very
happy.

> Lets look at it another way. If someone chooses to use AOLserver all
> they need to learn is tcl. If you have a new language added, and the
> package is written in that language, now you might have to learn some
> other language. Having one main language makes it easier, not harder to
> use AOLserver. Also, if you have a problem with a second language
> module, and you post it to this list, you have less gurus available to
> help out.

Unless they want to use third party add-ons that are not, and are not likely
to be in tcl... for example, Gallery is a fantastic php based image
gallery... I would MUCH rather swap that in and let it go than write
something as comprehensive from scratch... which I have done on one of my
sites, but not all the features are supported since aolserver isn't 100%
compatible with how apache does some things.. or more specifically how some
apache modules do some things..