On 2002.11.12, Simon Millward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Surely you are contradicting yourself? A standard is just that; a common
> way of doing something.

Right.

> The whole purpose of a standard is to 'remove' preference and choice.

I disagree.

It's not to remove preference and choice.  It's to reduce or eliminate
variation of the output of the work effort.

The process that each individual craft worker uses to produce the work
shouldn't be imposed by the standard (unless, that too is critical to
the actual output of the work effort).

In other words: I believe a Coding Standard is to ensure that ALL the
code looks like one person wrote it all ... not to enforce one person's
preferences for code formatting on every other person who has to read
the code.

I think there's a big difference.

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara                       mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]