Hmm, I don't see that message in any of my error log files. I have changed the param to 999, but the same thing seems to be happening.

I also notice that my error log maxbackup is set to 5, but i have error.log009...

FYI I'm running aolserver_v40_r10 built from cvs on Jun  5 2005 at 17:46:19

It's a real pain because I'm losing stats :(