On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 03:47:36PM +0100, Bas Scheffers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At least the three other major platforms (Java, PHP and IIS) support
> sessions out of the box. AOLserver does not.

> I even started my own, which you can get at:
> http://bas.scheffers.net/aolserver/nssession-0.2.tgz
>
> Response hasn't been overwhelming, so I have to ask: do people actually
> want this? Personaly, I think it belongs in the core. I even decided to

Well, I've never seen a clear concise description of what "sessions
support" means exactly.  But presumably I have it already, whenever I
use OpenACS.  (I don't have it out of the box when using plain
AOLserver, but then, I personally haven't needed it in those cases.)

If someone wants to examine, refactor, and/or improve on the OpenACS
session support and make it into an AOLserver module, that would be
very cool.  But since OpenACS users probably represent the single
largest group of people using an existing AOLserver sessions
implementation, I think it would be awfully silly to start with a
"clean sheet" sessions design.  (For bonus points, examine some of the
other live-in-production-use AOLserver sessions modules and use their
best ideas too.)

It might be the case that whatever OpenACS is doing with sessions is
dependent on its particular data model, I don't recall.  But in
general there is a LOT of utility code in OpenACS which does NOT
actually depend on anything OpenACS-specific, and it would be very
nice to have all that available for use by non-OpenACS projects as
well.  I suspect "sessions" is one such feature.

Finally, from a marketing point of view, starting from scratch would
also LOOK kind of silly to outsiders - "Oh, so in 2005 AOLserver
finally adds sessions support?"  Nah.  AOLserver has had good sessions
support since 1997 or whenever.  It just wasn't rolled into the
official AOLserver distribution, is all.

--
Andrew Piskorski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.piskorski.com/