On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 14:05 -0400, Nathan Folkman wrote:

The idea of a dedicated session server solves all the problems of
multiple servers, multiple instances and load balancing.

> How is a session defined?  Does it exist for the life of a browser
> session, or is it more permanent, surviving browser restarts? Lots
> of interesting ways you could go with this. :-)

A session is reduced to:  Allocate me a chuck of virtual space.  Assign
that chuck of virtual space to a single identifier.  Allow anyone to
read/write to it via it's identifier.  Preserve it by any means possible
until specifically told to destroy it or after a specified period of
inactivity.  The common theme I am seeing of storing/retrieving data in
that chuck of virtual space is using key/value pairs similar to ns_set
and nsv_.

The way the session identifier is assigned to a user will vary based on
needs.  Some will want to save it in persistent cookies, some in session
cookies, some by IP address and some in query strings.  That is not the
job of the session manager and needs no consideration in its design.

Daniel