On 23 Sep 2005, at 17:44, Andrew Piskorski wrote:
Well, I've never seen a clear concise description of what "sessions
support" means exactly.  But presumably I have it already, whenever I
For me it is simply being able to set key/value pairs in a very efficient in-memory way. Effectively a cache.

It might be the case that whatever OpenACS is doing with sessions is
dependent on its particular data model, I don't recall.  But in
I just looked at the code. It is completely tied into using the database as persistant storage (and caches using nsv), which of course is not acceptable if we want it out of the box in AOLserver.

Sessions is trivial functionality, there is not much risk of using "unproven technology", in fact I would say getting a reliable session implementation ripped out of OACS "ad_procs" is going to be more work and have more bugs than starting from scratch.

I also much prefer a C based version over Tcl for 3 reasons: 1) C modules can use it, 2) NsCache - which is my underlying engine - is proven technology and no need to re-invent the wheel for timing-out sessions and 3) probably a minor one: performance.

Cheers,
Bas.