[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Dossy Shiobara wrote:

It's about why we end up in situations where we even feel a debugger is
necessary.

I used to use debuggers much more than I do currently, (probably in large part because I used to do more C coding), but even though I do 99% of my debugging without a debugger, that remaining 1% would be far more painful without the debugger.

There are 2 main places where I find a debugger helpful. One is when I make stupid mistakes (and if you don't occasionally make stupid mistakes then I doubt you're actually programming) and the debugger can smack me upside the head and point out the stupidity ("Oh, it's a fencepost error!"). The other, more important case is when I am digging into code that I am not familiar with. In those cases, the debugger can give a new perspective and let you realize what is going on in the code, at which point you can ditch the debugger and go back to the code with a better understanding. Once you are familiar with the code then the debugger becomes much less useful, but in those initial stages it greatly speeds the progress.

Linus's rant really rubbed me the wrong way. I thought "considered harmful" essays went out of vogue a few decades ago. If you'd rather not use a particular tool fine, but don't imply that people who choose to use it are somehow inferior.

I thought there was code in AOLserver to support the TclPro debugger - has that been removed?
The hooks still exist and it even still works.

     Debugging AOLserver pages

   * Configure AOLserver to allow debugging, and restart:

ns_section "ns/server/server1/adp"
   ns_param enabledebug true

   * Download and install the TclDevKit

   * Start the debugger:

% tcldebugger &

   * Start a new session:

File > New-Project

   * Start a new remote session:

Debugging Type > Remote Debugging

   * Append the following information to the page you wish to debug:

   * AOLserver Dubugging Query Arguments:

debug       String. The files you wish to debug. (Example: *, *.adp, foo.inc)
dhost       String. The host name the Tcl debugger is listening on. (Example:
127.0.0.1)
dport       Integer. The port the Tcl debugger is listening on. (Example: 2576)
dprocs      String. Procedures to instrument. (Example: ns*, foo_something)

   * Example:

http://foo.com:8000/test.adp?debug=*&dhost=127.0.0.1&dport=2576
<http://foo.com:8000/test.adp?debug=*&dhost=127.0.0.1&dport=2576>

Hope that helps!

- n

-J

To Remove yourself from this list, simply send an email to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> with the body of "SIGNOFF AOLSERVER" in the email message. You can leave the Subject: field of your email blank.