On Wednesday, September 6, 2006 16:56, Tom Jackson said:
> it. We can introduce the unique AOLserver APIs to this project. But now we
> are back to the beginning: AOLserver isn't unique because of the Tcl
> language
> after all, it is unique because of the way it solves a particular problem.
> If
> developers don't like that uniqueness, it doesn't matter what languages
> are
> supported.
I agree, I like AOLserver for what it does; a fast multi-threaded server
with DB support better than anyone else's, shared variables better than
anyone else's and scripting support (Tcl libs, re-use of the interpreter,
etc) better than anyone else's. I happen to like Tcl, but the same thing
implemented in Perl or other "toy language" would be equally appealing.
The language is just the glue.

To be honest, the only thing that comes close is Java, in a good server
like Orion. And Java certainly isn't for beginners; apparently even
Greenspun's MIT students can't tame it without programming themselves into
an OO corner...

I really think what's needed is to include a lot more and pretend it is
ours, or at least thoroughly embrace it (TclLib, tdom) and everything is
in one place. See my other post for that.

If we can than create some more "out-of-the-box" modules like an SQL user
repository with API, a framework for making a site multi-lingual (Tcl
msgcat wrapper, really) and the like and praise it for all it is worth,
like other projects do, I think we have a fair chance of popularizing
AOLserver.

Now about the name...

Bas.