John Buckman wrote:
> Perl thread safety has never been properly debugged. In fact, that
> was the reason I moved from Perl to Tcl many years back. I had
> assumed that Python had fixed the global semaphore thing from when I
> looked at it 8 years ago, but no.
>
> Ok, Dossy, I buy your argument that the other pop languages aren't
> going to perform better because of their thread safety issues.

I agree.  I still find it somewhat odd when the Perl guys here rebuff any
attempts to rely on threading.  Perl actually has a pthread_atfork function,
with much coarser grained threads (though still true native threads), but they
do not have much confidence in the stability of the threading.  Python and
Ruby have cheated themselves by not taking advantage of native threads
(although I'm sure that makes things much easier).

> Your server-side javascript argument is *very* interesting.  It could
> potentially make AJAX programming quite a bit easier and there are
> some excellent debugging tools for Javascript.
>
> One thing I really miss in the Aolserver/Tcl world is a good debugger
> -- "puts" isn't such a good alternative :D.  Javascript, I believe,
> has nice development environments and debuggers available.  It'd also
> be nice to have a wider world of source code available to us, as Tcl
> has a lot, but nothing compared to the Perl/PHP world.

The Tcl Dev Kit Debugger should be able to be inserted into the AOLServer
environment for effective debugging.  You currently couldn't do that with
Komodo, but if there was demand, we could make some modifications.  However,
TDK can handle multiple simultaneous debugging sessions, so it should really
be adept at the debugging needs of something like AOLServer.

Jeff