Op Tue, 7 Aug 2007, schreef Tom Jackson:

> None of the issues listed really have a solution. The truth is that if you
> are
> doing mass hosting, you should use Apache, the memory footprint is just too
> great at some point with AOLserver because you have to load each server at
> startup. At the very least all code for all virtual servers is in memory, at
> least one copy. Mass hosting of even a hundred domains becomes near
> impossible. AOLserver cannot be effective in that situation. Apache really is
> more like sshd, tcpserver, or any other daemon that is just used to startup
> another process.

I agree, but it is fixable. Unused servers could be started an shut down
on demand so a web site that receives 5 hits/day doesn't eat memory
continuously.

However, I am again talking in terms of technical solutions, while the
actual thing is to address the social/political problem of AOLserver not
being useable in a multi-user environment. A hoster can already sell an
AOLserver hosting service if it can serve let's say, 25 users on one
server. If each customer that needs AOLserver needs a dedicated server and
ip-address, business wise this is a big no no.

Daniël