Tom Jackson wrote:
Jeff,

I cut out what I said, but believe me I have never made an argument that Apache was better than AOLserver for anything other than extreme mass hosting of cgi style applications.

If you look at the technology and underlying architecture, I don't think it's even necessarily superior in this particular domain. What it definitely has is momentum and mindshare.

 If you eliminate fastcgi, maybe you could consider
them even, I don't know. But there will always be a difference between the models: AOLserver is single, long running process. Apache can start a new process with any uid/gid for every request. So Apache can start up very quickly, AOLserver startup has an additive startup time. This is a fact, not a criticism. I'm not interested in mass hosting or beating Apache in this category.

Apache can start a new process with any uid/gid only through a wrapper program, and a proxy too in the case of the worker mpm. Which is not all that different from what aolserver would need to do if someone wanted that functionality. suexec is AFAIU a stand-alone wrapper and could be reused without change; nsproxy takes care of the lightweight forking part.

Really the only hard part is the "if someone wanted" which doesn't appear to be forthcoming.

-J