You might also want to try running AOLserver without the Tcl threaded
allocator (Zippy). You might want to try Hoard or if on Linux maybe give
Google's TCMalloc a shot. Remember, the "Zippy" allocator is optimized for
lock avoidance, and this comes at the cost of greater memory overhead.

- n

On 8/7/07, Tom Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> None of the issues listed really have a solution. The truth is that if you
> are
> doing mass hosting, you should use Apache, the memory footprint is just
> too
> great at some point with AOLserver because you have to load each server at
> startup. At the very least all code for all virtual servers is in memory,
> at
> least one copy. Mass hosting of even a hundred domains becomes near
> impossible. AOLserver cannot be effective in that situation. Apache really
> is
> more like sshd, tcpserver, or any other daemon that is just used to
> startup
> another process.
>
> tom jackson
>
> On Tuesday 07 August 2007 11:37, Daniël Mantione wrote:
> > >
> > > I think this may be more of a marketing issue than a technical one.
> What
> > > does apache do that aolserver doesn't?
> >
> > If have had very few situations that could rely 100% on AOLserver. Be it
> > PHP scripts (yes, I know you can install PHP in AOLserver), multi-user
> > requirements or political issues.
> >
> > > Ok, there are alot of C modules written for
> > > apache.  How many of these are in high demand? Other than the
> programming
> > > language ones which others are addressing, I'd guess very few, like
> > > mod_auth, mod_include, mod_fastcgi, mod_cgi, and *gag* mod_rewrite.
> > > AOLserver can do all of these things just fine, although as you say
> there
> > > is no 'batteries included' modules for handling some of them.
> >
> > There is no major technical issue with AOLserver. Not at all. The devil
> is
> > in the details. There are social issues at work (of which some might be
> > addressable with minor technical interventions).

> his
> easy
> > >
> > > You can very easily give each user his own space to develop a website
> in
> > > (e.g., ~/public_html)
> >
> > Correct, I did this on one of my systems.
> >
> > > the only problem is if they want to do things as
> > > themself rather than as the aolserver uid, since AFAIK setuid and
> threads
> > > do not interact well.
> >
> > ... and there is one TCL library, all databases need to be configured
> > globally, cgi scripts cannot be run with user permissions and more. For
> > multi-user systems, Apache is superior.
> >
> > > A solution could be built using nsproxy with the proxy
> > > running setuid as the desired user and sate interps for user ADPs or
> > > something along those lines but it would be a fair amount of work that
> no
> > > one seems to be asking for right now.
> >
> > Yes, this is one of the solutions. It can technically be done, in
> multiple
> > ways, it is even doable, but that is not the point. There is competition
> [...]

Nathan Folkman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]