On Thursday 27 September 2007 11:08, Dossy Shiobara wrote:
> It might be possible to push static file processing further up the chain
> into the DriverThread and get better performance on larger static
> files--or, have one dedicated I/O thread separate from the main driver
> thread to handle async I/O of static assets.  (I'm in favor of the
> latter, separate thread, just to avoid further complication of the
> main DriverThread.)

I also just noticed that there is a prequeue filter point. This gets run
before the socket is handed off to a connection thread. If you could direct
static file requests to a particular driver, you could use prequeue to
completely eliminate the connection queue (I think, I haven't tested how or
if you can break out of the filter pipeline).

It seems like some kind of specialization of the queue.c code could be used to
create a single thread event loop.

But it seems strange that lower number of requests would make AOLserver
perform worse than lighttpd, when it does so well with more requests. To me
this implies that the event/loop code in driver.c and queue.c is working very
well.

> I am concerned about your "hello world" dynamic request benchmark,
> though.  I would have expected at least 4k req/sec--not the sub-1k
> req/sec you saw.  I have a feeling it has to do with the default
> ns_pools/ns_limits settings, which naturally are NOT tuned for a 8-core
> CPU box.
>
> I bet with just a few minutes of tweaking and tuning, we can get between
> 4k-8k simple dynamic req/sec out of your hardware.

This is what I was trying to get at. Knowing that the current code is very
fast, it is easier to focus attention on configuration tuning.