On Apr 13, 2008, at 1:48 AM, 'Jesus' Jeff Rogers wrote:

Tying in with a different thread, my suggestion for an improvement would be to ship AOLserver should with (or alongside) a standard/ sample library that is intended to be looked at and tweaked (the standard library that ships currently is boilerplate). This standard library could include a filter proc to call 'ns_conn gzip 1' (or however it is exposed at the tcl level) based on the config file setting.

Just do it right in the first place. The config file approach would solve 99% of the need, and for those needing explicit control an explicit call to ns_return_compress or whatever would give it to them.

Whatever happened to the KISS principle?

One of the things I love about AOLserver is its relative simplicity. People always seem to want to screw with that for some reason.

Another thing to include in this standard library could be compatibility code for the old thread configuration directives mapping them onto the new 4.5 thread configuration commands.

Or just put back the config parameters as they were, they worked fine for everyone for a decade. I don't remember the masses shouting that the config approach wasn't sufficient. It suddenly appeared without discussion nor documentation.

----
Don Baccus
http://donb.photo.net
http://birdnotes.net