Hi all,
a couple of comments:

(1) I am not advocating the use of XSLT. In fact, I think it is not a
good idea to bundle code (even if it is XSLT) with a language pair. I
would rather have a compiler that understands directly the higher level
descriptions collectively called metadixes; it wouldn't be difficult to
actually parametrize the different dialects of metadix and pass on those
parameters to a compiler that would then do whatever is needed for the
dictionary to compile (there is a single transfer compiler for .t1x,
.t2x and .t3x, for instance).

(2) I am sure there are common features of all metadixes that can be
unified so that transformations embedded into the language pair are
minimal, and, if possible, declarative and not procedural. I did have, I
think, a unifying proposal for "par"'s and "sa"''s I would encourage
Apertiumers to think of ways to look for those common features to try to
minimize the current anarchy (the other day I found it quite difficult
to explain to a student why one used metadixes for en in en-es and
didn't use them for es).

I think we should make an effort in both directions. Currently, Apertium
does not look good with so many dialects and ad-hoc embedded XSLTs, etc.
And also, format proliferation makes it very hard to use automatic tools
like apertium-dixtools, etc.

Just my 0.02€ worth!

Mikel

12/21/2010 01:43 PM, Jimmy O'Regan wrote:

> On 21 Dec 2010, at 12:04, Kevin Brubeck Unhammer<unham...@fsfe.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Francis Tyers<fty...@prompsit.com>  writes:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> The problem with this is that there are so many different metadix
>>> formats that it will be impossible to come up with one that covers
>>> them
>>> all. For example if I remember correctly how the "alt" works is
>>> different in es-pt and in oc-es. I think it was decided that it was
>>> desirable to have them functioning differently, or at least would
>>> require substantial changes in either language pair to get a unified
>>> format -- changes that without some push (and let's face it, cash)
>>> are
>>> not going to get made.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, implementing compound words gives us the chance to
>>> strike while the iron is hot! We can make a (fairly innocuous
>>> change --
>>> any language pair that does not have compounding will be unaffected)
>>> before getting a plethora of different options and thus avoiding the
>>> metadix problem for another set of issues.
>>>
>>> Btw, thinking about metadix I have some probably unpopular ideas,
>>> thatwould preclude any standardisation. I think that maybe we
>>> should not
>>> have one format, but rather many _codified_ formats depending on the
>>> language(group). For example how to include a verb would be
>>> different in
>>> Tajik and Dutch, because different things are important. Unnecessary
>>> examples:
>>>
>>> <e lm="aanzitten"><par n="z/itten__vblex" prefix="aan"
>>> pp="aangezeten"/></e>
>>>
>>> Giving:

>>> n="gesproken__vblex_sep"/></e>
>>>
>>> Or in Tajik:
>>>
>>> <e lm="харидан"><par n="кард/ан__vblex" stem1="харид" stem2="хар"/
>> In the unification proposal from
>>
>> http://wiki.apertium.org/wiki/Unification_of_metadix_and_parametrized_dictionaries#A_unifying_proposal
>>
>> the calls would look like
>>
>> <e lm="aanzitten"><par n="z/itten__vblex" prms="prefix='aan'
>> pp='aangezeten'"/></e>
>>
>> and
>>
>> <e lm="харидан"><par n="кард/ан__vblex" prms="stem1='харид' stem2='х
>> ар'"/></e>
>>

>> Are there good reasons not to go with that kind of syntax?
> The use of the apostrophe, for one thing. Makes it unworkable for
> several languages. The key/value pairs ought really to be expressed in
> an XML structure.

Mikel L. Forcada (http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~mlf/)
Departament de Llenguatges i Sistemes Informàtics
Universitat d'Alacant
E-03071 Alacant, Spain
Phone: +34 96 590 9776
Fax: +34 96 590 9326